Cognitex is a product for individuals that are interested in maintaining optimum brain health and functioning. Life Extension Foundation demonstrates it's attention to quality and supplement design with this excellent product. Cognitex is well worth considering as a comprehensive start to an advanced mental performance program.
Each softgel contains:
- 200 mg Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline
- 33 mg Phosphatidylserine
- 16 mg Pregnenolone
- 6 mg Vinpocetine
- 50 mg "Leucoselect Phytosome" (16 mg grape seed extract & 33 mg soy phospholipids)
- 50 mg Wild Blueberry
- 41 mg Ashwagandha
- 16 mg Uridine-5'-Monophosphate
- 41 mg Blend of Hops, Ginger and Rosemary
A recommended serving of three softgels contains:
- 600 mg Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline
- 100 mg Phosphatidylserine
- 50 mg Pregnenolone
- 20 mg Vinpocetine
- 150 mg "Leucoselect Phytosome" (50 mg grape seed extract & 100 mg soy phospholipids)
- 150 mg Wild Blueberry
- 125 mg Ashwagandha
- 50 mg Uridine-5'-Monophosphate
- 125 mg Blend of Hops, Ginger and Rosemary
- Individuals may want to take anywhere from one to three softgels per day with meals. Exceeding three per day should only be done with careful study and monitoring.
Contraindications / concerns:
- Hormone testing should be performed to monitor pregnenolone and testosterone levels (Cognitex is available without pregnenolone too).
- Based on animal research, those with epilepsy or a predisposition of brain seizures may want to avoid pregnenolone.
- If you are taking Warfarin (Coumadin®), consult with your physician before using this product. (potential interaction with vinpocetine)
- Vinpocetine in high dosages can have some undesirable side effects (indigestion, nausea, dizziness, anxiety, facial flushing, insomnia, headache, drowsiness and dry mouth; Vinpocetine may also cause a temporary drop in blood pressure.), be careful that in combination with your other supplements you are not consuming too much vinpocetine (probably best to stay below 60 mg per day; 10 to 20 mg per day seems to be a typical recommendation; often the recommendation is to start out with a low dosage of about 5 mg with a meal).
Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline and Phosphatidylserine are recommended to support the phospholipids used to build cell membranes. These complement any Omega 3s you may be taking. PC and PS are essential for effective cell communication. [Mark Hyman "The Ultramind Solution"]
Pregnenolone is a hormone which is neuroprotective. Pregnenolone may metabolize to DHEA or progesterone.
Vinpocetine dilates blood vessels and enhances blood flow. Vinpocetine is also known to be effective in improving energy production in the brain.Vinpocetine is an extract from the periwinkle plant "vinca minor". A study shows vinpocetine to be neuroprotective by protecting against glutamate excitotoxicity via binding to a benzodiazepine receptor. [PMID: 18793690] A study shows that vinpocetine can improve retinal blood supply for humans with glaucoma. [PMID: 19062562] A study at the Hannover Medical School show that vinpocetine may have value in treatment of premature ejaculation. [PMID: 19040619]
Blueberry is widely known for it's mental enhancing benefits. Dr. Amen calls blueberries "brain berries".
Ashwagandha helps convert T4 to T3 (improved thyroid function). Large dosages (600 mg) may increase testosterone levels.
Uridine-5-monophosphate (UMP) is a basic building block of DNA and RNA as well as of phosphatides such as phosphatidylcholine that are critical to optimal brain function and the health of neuronal cell membranes. Naturally found in the milk of nursing mothers, UMP is essential not only for the growth and development of infant brains, but also for healthy cognitive function in aging adults. Dietary supplementation with UMP may increase brain acetylcholine and phosphatide levels, and enhance some cholinergic functions. Acetylcholine plays a key role in learning and memory and has highest concentrations in the hippocampus and frontal lobes.
A study at MIT on rats demonstrated: a UMP fortified diet resulted in increased dopamine release. Biomarkers of neurite outgrowth increased approximately 200%. "Hence, UMP treatment not only enhances membrane phosphatide production but also can modulate two membrane-dependent processes, neurotransmitter release and neurite outgrowth, in vivo." [PubMed ID 16055952]
Another study at MIT on gerbils demonstrated: UMP supplementation enhances synthesis of CDP-choline, the immediate precursor of phosphatidyl choline. [PubMed ID 16126180]
Additional Supplement Suggestions:
Individuals using Cognitex and interested in improved mental function may also want to consider supplementing with a high quality Fish Oil based Omega 3 supplement with high levels of EPA and DHA.
Low dosage lithium (5 mg) may also be desirable.
Naturally a complete supplementation regimen supplying sufficient levels of all vitamins and minerals is desirable for all individuals.
Individual needs should be evaluated and used to optimize any supplement program.